Brickworks Limited is proud of its history – a long, unbroken tradition that stretches back to the days of the Great Depression. It was in 1934 that a group of leading Sydney brick manufacturers formed a company to ensure the ongoing viability of the local brick industry. The expansion of the company was rapid and its success assured through technological innovation and strong management.
In 1961 the company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange and in 1969 entered a share-swap arrangement with the investment group, Washington H. Soul Pattinson. The cross-holding is one of the most successful in Australia’s corporate history and continues to prosper.
Determined to bring stability to the industry during the Depression years and provide leadership, the brickmakers appointed William King Dawes as general manager. Dawes was also general manager of the highly successful Austral Brick Company Pty Limited. Under his direction Brickworks Limited prospered, becoming the single most important player in the brick industry, a position it retains to this day. Dawes continued to serve as managing director with both companies until his death in 1981.